Sunday 10 August 2014

Serendipity Sunday - The Grocer




While researching ancestors, I came across these books - Canadian Grocer.  There are different years containing articles, ads and markets for different provinces. I found issues for years 1890 to 1922.

 
 

We had a small grocer at the end of the village where I grew up, and I used to go sometimes to get a couple of things for my mother.  It seems to me everything was 25 cents? ... milk, bread, etc... I know that is just my childhood memories, I don't know how much it was, but 25 cents was a lot of money. My Mom also let me buy penny candy and I always got blackballs because you got THREE for a cent, not just 1. And each one lasted a long time.

Looking through these books you can see what your ancestors were buying and how much they might have paid for it.

Digging deeper, I found some similar for the US and for the UK.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a note to tell me you were here! Thanks for visiting.

By joining our Facebook Group you get other genealogy news from time to time, and you can download pages of links that go with the posts.

Popular Posts