Monday 22 August 2016

Ancestors in France


My readers must know by now that I love just googling around to see what pops up. Truth be told, that is how I get some of my inspiration for writing my blog posts. Sometimes I type in a name and an interesting topic will come up, so I try the same topic with another name and I get something completely different.  That's how it works for me.
Fluke!  Hahaha.

So I was trying out "Guimont(/d)", the ancestor of my children, and the name was mentioned in a book called Tourouvre et ses Souvenirs, 1912.



Tourouvre is where these Guimont ancestors immigrated from, so that piqued my interest right away. Near the bottom it states:
Antoine Le Fort, son of Jean and Francoise Creste, was baptized the 19 January 1624 at Eglise Saint-Aubin de Tourouvre, and he had for a godmother Mathurine Guimond. He was second to depart, but we lose track of him from that time.
Then trying out other areas in France where ancestors from my database were known to live, and using a variety of keywords, I came up with a few more publications. One of the searches took me to the BNF (Bibliothèque Nationale de France) where you may find more information and publications.

Maybe you will find some of your French ancestors in these pages.


Relevant Links



Dictionnaire historique et généalogique des famillesdu Poitou, France, Vol 1

Dictionnaire historique et généalogique des famillesdu Poitou, France, Vol 2

Dictionnaire historique et généalogique des famillesdu Poitou, France, Vol 3

Monographie sur la Commune de Coulimer, Orne, France 1900















Once in Canada check the Dictionnaire Généalogique des Familles Canadiennes.
Note: Always check the actual records against what is written in these books. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a note to tell me you were here! Thanks for visiting.

By joining our Facebook Group you get other genealogy news from time to time, and you can download pages of links that go with the posts.

Popular Posts