Monday 29 August 2016

Notaries Public



One of the papers I found among my father's things was a letter from a notary in Victoria, BC to my grandfather in Verdun, Quebec. It was concerning the estate of my grandfather's uncle, James Mavor.  James' wife had died 4 years previously and they had no children, so he left his estate to my grandfather and his siblings.






The notary had attached a small clipping that Uncle James had, from the Weekly Scotsman about the name Mavor. The company does not exist any more so I am wondering what happened to the files? Something to add to my to-do list. 

The writing at the top right is by my grandmother's hand. They must have gone to BC to meet the notary, and I kinda remember them taking a road trip out west about that time. 

When my grandmother's sister Bessie was to marry Harry they signed a marriage contract. They used notaries Kittson, Reddy & Reddy of Montreal. 






In the past several years I have used notaries public when buying property, getting documents certified and to probate the estates of family members. 



Relevant Links






















2 comments:

  1. I am a notary, but I haven't had the thrill of notarizing any genealogically related documents yet. Maybe that's for the best, as I always want to hear family history stories. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably 100 years from now people will be thrilled to find any of their ancestor papers prepared by you today!

      Delete

Leave me a note to tell me you were here! Thanks for visiting.

By joining our Facebook Group you get other genealogy news from time to time, and you can download pages of links that go with the posts.

Popular Posts