Friday 21 April 2017

High Fives - April 21, 2017





~by Christine Woodcock at The In-Depth Genealogist
I have a rich Scottish heritage on both sides of the family and I find this post very helpful.


~by Simon Davis at Mental Floss
I found this article via John Tew’s Serendipity Saturday post on his blog Filiopietism Prism. Not only does Simon give distinctive names but tells more about them. I wish now that I had been able to do more on my family history before I had my kids, as there are some pretty cool names on on my tree I would have used had I known. 


~by Christopher Moore at Christopher Moore’s History News
I will have to go next time I’m in Calgary visiting my kids.  The Glenbow also has a great online collection depicting life in the west and Metis genealogy.


~by Gail Dever at Genealogy à la carte
I have New Brunswick people and although I didn’t find any there, I did find some info on my Porter family.. plus the many Guimont people that moved to the US in the French Canadian Migration. There is more than probate records available to view.

Also check out Gail’s last week’s Crème de la Crème for some interesting posts, especially the one from Atlantic Loyalist Connections.


General takes new approach on the transition to civilian life
~by Stephen J Thorne at Legion; Canada's Military History Magazine
Finally, someone is taking action, let's all hope it goes somewhere. During and after WWI my great-grand uncle in Winnipeg started a program for veterans coming home from the war. I also think of my grandfather, a well-brought-up, church-going boy who was thrown into a life he knew nothing about and came home a man his parents didn't recognize. He later found the Legion, most members were vets, and it was the only place he could talk about what he had seen and done.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a note to tell me you were here! Thanks for visiting.

By joining our Facebook Group you get other genealogy news from time to time, and you can download pages of links that go with the posts.

Popular Posts