Monday 25 September 2017

The Calico Printer




My 2x great grandfather's sister, Ann Purdie Falconer Tait was a calico printfield worker in Glasgow in 1859 when she married Robert Sinclair, a calico engraver.  





I didn't know much about calico printing so I looked for more information and found the following books and websites on the subject.






The Calico Printers Association was founded in Britain in 1899 with the merge of 46 textile companies and 13 textile merchants. 

The Dictionary of Dyeing and Calico Printing has recipes for making the colours, so I looked up my favourite colour ... green!








Relevant Links












4 comments:

  1. researching occupations is so much fun. My husband's grandfather was a button cutter in Iowa. They made real shell buttons. I learned so much from articles on the net and actually found a photo of him that no one knew about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How interesting! They used to make such beautiful intricately carved buttons. I guess all plastic today. What a great find for your husband's family!
      Me too I like seeing what different occupations involved.

      Delete
  2. What an interesting occupation -- one I didn't know about. It is always fun to learn more about the less common occupations of our ancestors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, I love learning about old occupations. Here's one for you, I came across it a couple of weeks ago... bath chair man.

      Delete

Leave me a note to tell me you were here! Thanks for visiting.

By joining our Facebook Group you get other genealogy news from time to time, and you can download pages of links that go with the posts.

Popular Posts