Monday 26 October 2015

"Life Without Bees.....


"Life Without Bees means life without chocolate." 

That is the title of a blog post I noticed when I was reading about how to make a bee friendly garden. Bees pollinate about 75% of the food we eat, so I would say that is true!

A few yeas ago when we drove north in the spring we would pass a stretch that has orchards on both sides of the road.  It was like going through a bee-storm! Our RV got battered by bees coming and going and we had to stop at least twice to wash the dead and spattered bees off the windshield and out of the grill.  Ewwww! But I also felt bad for the bees, having watched the Bee Movie. That has not happened in a couple of years now. Is it due to disappearing bees?

Like a lot of people of the time, my grandparents tried their hand at beekeeping.



My parents had other friends who kept bees and when we would stop in to see them they would give us kids pieces of honeycomb. Yum!

There are many publications about keeping honey bees, and a beekeepers association in most cities or states. Look in the newspapers for associations your ancestors may have belonged to.


Edinburgh Evening News, September 12, 1894


Studies show that due to poor bee and hive health globally there are not enough honey bees to pollinate crops.  More and more people are growing their own food and here are ways to attract honey bees to your garden. Even if you are not growing food there are ways you can help keep bees thriving.

I have a friend, Cathern who told me of this short YouTube film clip on pollinators, and she is making seed bombs to toss into wild areas for all of Mother Nature's creatures. This post is dedicated to Cathern who is doing her part to help save the honey bees, and whose birthday it is today!

Were any of your ancestors apiarists? Check local libraries and archives for local, state and provincial Beekeeping Associations.



Relevant Links

The ABC's of Bee Culture; with biographies of noted bee-keepers 1890 

Ontario Beekeepers Association 1888 

Manitoba Beekeepers Association 1918

Wintering Bees in Canada 1926 

Beekeeping in the Kootenays, BC 1918

Annual Report of the General Manager of the National Bee-Keepers USA 1904

Gleanings in bee culture

The Bee-Keeper's dictionary 1800

Bee Keepers Review - USA

British Bee Journal & Bee-keepers' Advisor

Bee-keeper's legal rights

Annual Report of the Illinois State Bee-Keepers' Association

First Report of the State Bee-Keepers' Association of Pennsylvania 1906

American Bee Journal

Iowa State Apiarist

Pennsylvania Beekeeper

Lone Star Apiarist

The American Apiculturist








12 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this insight. I had stumbled upon a beekeeper in a census records. This is a great information to add more depth to that discovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There’s such interesting information. I’m a terrible gardener, so no help from me for the bees :-(

      Delete
  2. Dianne, I never would have thought of looking at a group, such as the Beekeepers Association listed above, to look for ancestors! I don't know that I had any ancestors involved in beekeeping, but my husband is! I am planning on bookmarking several of the links you provided. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try going to Archive dot org and search association or society with the name of your ancestors’ town or state. When you find some in the right time frame, search in the book. You may get Lucky!

      Delete
  3. What a great find! I haven't found any beekeepers in my family tree yet, but it would be fun if I did! I hope bees make a comeback and continue to pollinate our planet.

    Your post is also a good reminder to me that although my ancestors probably weren't part of a beekeeping association, they may have been in other organizations related to their occupations! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only knew when I found the photo in a box my cousin gave me. That area around them is all buildings now.
      Our ancestors were joiners, that was their entertainment. I’m sure you’ll find something!

      Delete
  4. Very timely topic as more people now realize how important bees are. My great grandfather was a beekeeper in Ontario. I found his remarks recorded at provincial conferences. A while ago I published an article about women beekeepers in British Columbia. I may republish that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know that I've been stung by either a bee or a wasp years ago, but I forget which. I've been afraid of both since I was very young. I understand their value, but I'll leave keeping them to others. Thanks for sharing the links!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouch! I was stung by a bumble bee when I was young, it does hurt! I won’t be keeping bees either but I may strew some wild flower seeds and see what happens,

      Delete
  6. Thank you Dianne do not remember this post - but then again were we not just talking about our memories :D

    Over the last 3.6 years I have come to realize that our native bees are having a problem too just to survive - thus my work for Monarch butterflies of saving natural areas from mowers(and planting native milkweed, the only food Monarch caterpillars eat) also will help native bees, pollinators, wildlife and us :D as you know because I keep harping about it on Facebook and anywhere else I can :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are doing such great work, not only what you are doing at home but also by educating your community. I applaud you!

      Delete

Leave me a note to tell me you were here! Thanks for visiting.

By joining our Facebook Group you get other genealogy news from time to time, and you can download pages of links that go with the posts.

Popular Posts