Monday 12 September 2016

Monthly Magazines


Thee are so many types of magazines today. I used to get gift subscriptions to magazines with children stories from my aunts. I give monthly magazines to my grandchildren for Christmas according to their preferences - cooking, photography, puzzles etc. They love them and it is a gift that lasts all year long.

Among the types of magazines printed in the 1700-1900's are political/ literary. They give the news of the past month on science, arts, politics, etc.  Some have names of subscribers, and some have births and deaths of notables. These magazines became especially popular to immigrants who wanted news of their homeland.







There are also genealogical magazines, like this one...




...or Family magazines like this one from Montreal...



When my gg uncle James Mavor died, his notary sent my grandfather, a beneficiary, a clipping from a paper - Weekly Scotsman - so he must have subscribed to it. I see it is available for viewing at the National Library of Australia.







You can check for more using keywords "Monthly Magazine", "Weekly Magazine", "Annual Magazine" and "magazine genealogy". 


Relevant Links























No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a note to tell me you were here! Thanks for visiting.

By joining our Facebook Group you get other genealogy news from time to time, and you can download pages of links that go with the posts.

Popular Posts