Sunday 4 June 2017

Canada 150 - Le Prix Courant





During our country's 150th anniversary celebration of confederation I will write posts titled Canada 150 with a link to a publication or website I find that may help you tell the story of your Canadian ancestors.
Click on the Canada 150 label on the right or at the bottom to see all the posts.

Today I have for you...

Le Prix Courant




Le Prix Courant was a French weekly publication put out by the Retail Merchants Publishing Co. of Montreal. There are market trends as well as price lists of foods and goods, including sundries, coal, furs, skins and leathers...




There is also a section to do with businesses - new, closed, deaths, having difficulties, went up in flames, etc..




What is unexpected and two bonuses for genealogists, are the section of Registered Sales of properties in Montreal, with names and amounts paid...




... and what has this got to do with the price of tea in China? Some issues have city registers and outcomes of court cases...




There are several issues in one binder, so check them all. After some nosing around, I still have no clue why they are touted as "Le Quincaillier" (hardware dealer in English). This is the only mention I found of it in this book.

In August 2014 I wrote a post about The Canadian Grocer, a similar publication in English with prices and business news, but it didn't have these juicy extras.


Relevant Links

Le Quincaillier at Internet Archive

Le Prix Courant at Canadiana Online

Le Prix Courant at BAnQ Numeique 


Note: At BAnQ check Patrimoine québécois, then under Document Type check Revues et journaux, then scroll down to Titre and type in Le Prix Courant

2 comments:

  1. How interesting and it's so intriguing that some of the judgements were so high back in the day of the Circuit Court Judge. I really wish I could see a name that I was familiar with. I think being a voyeur into the past is lots of fun. It makes me want to find past generations of wills and land deeds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Louise. The wills and land deeds are what I most want to find.

      Delete

Leave me a note to tell me you were here! Thanks for visiting.

By joining our Facebook Group you get other genealogy news from time to time, and you can download pages of links that go with the posts.

Popular Posts